Update Monday 9th May 2022
LCIAD activity following removal of domestic COVID restrictions in England.
We are pleased to report that things are finally returning to pre-COVID normal.
The COVID experience over the last 2 years has been a rollercoaster of increased and decreased infection rates, new variants, booster vaccinations and sometimes confusing and conflicting messages as to how we need to ensure safety amongst our staff and patients.
Since LCIAD re-opened after the initial lockdown with new measures to keep our patients, staff and colleagues safe, our standard operating procedure below has meant we have been able to provide vital dental care since then and continuing hygiene and maintenance without any complications.
We would like to sincerely thank all of our wonderful patients for their humbling support, good humour, compliance with our COVID protocols and unstinting trust during this protracted period of unknowns.
We thank all of our patients for adopting our vital Medical History Questionnaire updates at each visit and all staff and visitors on their daily risk assessment form completions.
Vaccinations in the UK have been progessing rapidly. However London still lags behind the rest of the country. Luckily, despite this, hospital admissions and deaths remain at a relatively low level and has decreased from around 150/day in London to around 30/day over April 2022.
It remains of paramount importance for us to ensure our patients, their families and our team remain safe during these unpredictable and ever-changing times. Since re-opening LCIAD after the initial lockdown on 15th June 2020, we have been able to look after our patients’ dental needs under our Standard Operating Procedures. The system changes adopted at the practice have worked very well and have become second nature. However due to reduced infection rates in London we have now returned to pre 2020 standard operating procedures with some exceptions still continueing as below: I would like to thank all of our patients and my team for their stoic and good natured compliance with all the measures listed below that we have adopted to keep everyone attending LCIAD safe.
There have been some changes to our standard operating procedures and a summary of current precedures is given below:
- Regular lateral flow tests for all staff members are carried out if they have been in crowded envirionments or in contact with an infected or potentially infected person and have symptoms of any upper respiratory tract infection or feeling generally unwell. Latyeral flow tests are provided free of charge for all staff.
- Comprehensive COVID training for our team in line with current guidelines is regularly implemented, discussed and and reviewed at each staff meeting.
- We continue the use of FFP2 and FFP3 masks for all staff but have dispensed with nylon gowns and hairnets as we feel that these do not contribute effectively to prevention of cross infection. However, if you would like to wear a protective gown, they are still available on request.
- All visitors in a professional capacity to the practice continue to undergo an up to date COVID risk assessment prior to visiting. Patients are asked to update their Medical History Questionnaire (MHQ) as normal 48 hours before every appointment and will be asked verbally if they have any changes between completion and attendance. They will no longer have to complete our entry form as we have seen that the incidence of any changes between completion of the MDQ and attendance has been negligible over the last year.
- Staff daily documented self-assessment forms have been discontinued from 1st April 2022 but all staff and are equipped with lateral flow tests and PCR tests at home in case of overnight symptoms whereupon they do not attend the clinic.
- Temperature checks upon entry for our patients, team and visitors have been discontinued.
- Social distancing measures have been relaxed including staggered scheduling of patients. We have the advantage that the practice does not share our entrance with any other business.
- Hand sanitisation stations provided at the practice entrance and around the premises are still available.
- Anti-viral iodine solution mouthwash rinses and nasal sprays before your appointment have been discontinued but can be reintruduced if cases start to rise again.
- Deep cleaning of the surgeries after each visit and all on-site daily or sessional laundering of all clinical wear have been a standard feature of regualr dental care anyway and continue normally.
- Regular cleaning of our communal areas continue.
- Fallow times after each appointment have been removed completely from 1st April 2022.
- High volume suction has always been used as routine which reduces aerosol by over 90%.
- Air exchanges of all surgeries, reception and sterilisation rooms with scientifically tested and verified Woodpecker Q7 viricidal air filtration units continuing to be used routinely all day.
- Hypochlorous acid fogging of all operatory rooms in the practice have now been discontinued.
Latest Government figures for COVID 19 infection in Marylebone and Westminster are available here.
We thank all of our patients for your continued trust and custom during the ups and downs of the last 2 years. All the team at LCIAD are proud to look after you to the highest standards we can achieve in London and look forward to welcoming you.
Please see our Standard Operating Procedures document via the link below. It contains detailed information on how LCIAD has functioned and will continue to function for the foreseeable future with changes updated as above.
With very best wishes on behalf of the whole team at LCIAD.
Dr Koray Feran BDS MSc FDSRCS
Clinical Director LCIAD